In mid 1966 John Harris of Auckland group The Bluestars penned 'Social End Product'. It is NZ's first punk single.
Released independently by the local Allied International label in September 1966 on JAR 540, it is now considered the holy grail of NZ freakbeat and sixties punk. It is a record much coveted by collectors of the genre worldwide. This was not the only 45 from NZ that encapsulated the spirit of the time... the defiant attitude, the fuzzed out guitars, the groups dandied up in the latest fashions of the day, topped off (usually) with the longest tresses (Most groups have a long hair tale to tell whether it being run out of a provincial town for wooing the local ladies with their shaggy do's, or war veterans berating them with "We fought a war for you!".)
'Social End Product' is first out of the gate on this LP collection of wild mid sixties sounds from NZ.
Wild Things was originally released in 1992 on Flying Nun. This 2018 volume is the redux 26th Anniversary “Wild Things” collection. Out of control, filthy & fuzzy mayhem from the ‘bottom’ of the world. Armed with locally manufactured guitars and amplifiers overdriven through home-made fuzz boxes, these 16 skullbusting mashers were recorded under basic conditions in primitive studios.
- The Bluestars - Social End Product
- The La De Da's - Don't You Stand In My Way
- Sandy Edmonds - Come See Me
- Larry's Rebels - Whatcha Gonna Do About It ?
- The Rayders - Working Man
- Tom Thumb - You're Gonna Miss Me
- The Pleazers - Hurtin' All Over
- Grim Ltd - Milk Cow Blues
- Chants R&B - Neighbour Neighbour
- The Roadrunners - LSD
- The Smoke - No More Now
- The Gremlins - Blast Off 1970
- The Principals - I Can't Stop
- The Troubled Minds - Finders Keepers
- Ray Woolf & The Avengers - Little Things That Happen
- Tomorrow's Love - 7 & 7 Is
Wild Things is now available for purchase from Flying Out.